Online Resources Are Available
As schools and programs across the Greater Kansas City area close to prevent the spread of the coronavirus (COVID-19), many parents and caregivers are seeking ways to support learning outside of the classroom. It is during these times of anxiety when children are most in need of a secure environment and opportunities for one-on-one engagement with a loved one. Please see below some of our favorite resources to add to your activities at home.
Our partners at Scholastic have created a free Learn at Home environment with day-by-day projects to keep kids reading, thinking, and growing.
Our friends at Campaign for a Commercial Free Childhood have put together a comprehensive list of screen-free activities.
Talk, Read, and Sing together every day! A resource guide for families from the Department of Education.
An actual trip to the library might be on hold for the next few weeks but most libraries offer free audio books for download. Having a book for a child to listen to while they color is a great activity that feeds their imagination. This site has 200 free resources available for download.
Many zoos and aquariums have switched on the LIVE web cam! Check out The Kansas City Zoo's live feed to see what the animals are up to.
- Wide Open School, a collection of online learning experiences and activities for kids curated by the editors at Common Sense Media
- Our partners at Scholastic have created a free Learn at Home environment with day-by-day projects to keep kids reading, thinking, and growing.
- Switcheroozoo Watch, listen, and play games to learn all about amazing animals.
- PBS Kids and PBS LearningMedia Hang out with your favorite characters all while learning.
- Sesame Street Find a variety of games, coloring pages, videos, and learning resources
- StarFall Fun activities for Pre-K and younger to practice literacy, emerging phonics and reading at home.
- Fun Brain Play games while practicing math and reading skills.
- Tinkergarten At Home educational DIY activities and virtual Tinkergarten classes to foster at-home learning that is easy and fun.
- Talk, Read, and Sing together every day. Resource guide for families from the Department of Education